Re: GTK scroll bar artifacts [Was: Re: GTK scroll bar question]

From: Jan D.
Subject: Re: GTK scroll bar artifacts [Was: Re: GTK scroll bar question]
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2014 17:03:40 +0200

Dmitry Antipov skrev 2014-07-31 16:20:
On 07/30/2014 04:39 PM, martin rudalics wrote:

I suppose it's related to changes in GTK3.  I often see this:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2014-01/msg02228.html

And there's also bug#17982.

 From GTK3's gtkeventbox.c:

* You should generally make your event box invisible if
* you just want to trap events. Creating a visible window
* may cause artifacts that are visible to the user, especially
* if the user is using a theme with gradients or pixmaps.

This helps in my case.  OK to install?

No. The reason for having the event box is to have a window to draw into, not to trap events. If you make it invisible, there will be no window to draw into and the scroll bar will draw into the parent window, which is what we don't want. Since Emacs draws and clears the window with X calls, the scroll bar does not know it should redraw itself, leading to all kind of races.

        Jan D.