Re: "modern" doc viewer for info/html

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: "modern" doc viewer for info/html
Date: Sat, 2 Aug 2014 14:30:02 +0200

On Sat, Aug 2, 2014 at 2:26 PM, Nic Ferrier <address@hidden> wrote:
address@hidden writes:

>> > Thanks, but I asked about features and functionality, not about the
>> > implementation details.
>>
>> That's the main difference between info and this. Info is a finished
>> product, this is just a demo of what could be done.
>>

> How about search engines, Nic?
>
> Yes, I know it is not a finished product, but what are your thoughts about
> it. Google, for example, want a plain html page for indexing. And I guess
> other search engines wants that too.

There's nothing about the architecture of this that would stop it being
indexed.

And indexing and presenting a different UI are two different
concerns. As I said before, this just proxies existing GNU
documentation. The existing documentation is very good for indexing and
it's still there. I'm not replacing it. I'm just making a "better" UI
for it.

Nic

Sounds good. (But of course the html URLs and your URLs must be tied together for the search engines to point to your version. There are tools for that.)