Re: Raw string literals in Emacs lisp.

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Raw string literals in Emacs lisp.
Date: Mon, 04 Aug 2014 08:38:05 +0200

> I don't want a wart like this in Emacs.

Well, I am not sure about the size of the wart in practice.  It has not
apparently caused much of a disturbance for XEmacs.  It certainly seems
less relevant in practice than our traditional wart

(info "(emacs) Left Margin Paren")

with regard to reliable detection of strings out of context.  The Elisp
solution of providing a manual "\(" escape sequence does not work for
languages such as Scheme/Guile and various others.

I definitely see a use case for raw strings.  It's also worth noting
that python-mode appears to do a pretty good job finding and
highlighting the various Python raw strings, and those should have
similar problems.  There will probably be outliers like those I
constructed, but I have to admit that I have not run into them yet.

I most certainly have run into the "Left Margin Paren" problem numerous
times, in contrast.

--
David Kastrup