RE: Escape key as C-g

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Escape key as C-g
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2014 13:56:56 -0700 (PDT)

> Regarding making the Escape key behave like C-g, this seems to work
> fine in GUI emacs, but not terminal emacs:
>
>   (define-key key-translation-map "\e" (kbd "C-g"))
>
> Anyone know of some sort of settings change or other I could make to
> get this to work in emacs running in a terminal?

Not an answer to your question, but I suggest that you not do that,
unless you really never need any keys that have ESC as a prefix.

Are you aware that `ESC-ESC-ESC' already does the same thing as `C-g'
in many cases?  (It's really not hard to hit it 3 times instead of 1.)

>From the Emacs manual, node `Quitting':

 The sequence `<ESC> <ESC> <ESC>' (`keyboard-escape-quit') can either
 quit or abort.  (We defined it this way because <ESC> means "get out"
 in many PC programs.)  It can cancel a prefix argument, clear a
 selected region, or get out of a Query Replace, like `C-g'.  It can get
 out of the minibuffer or a recursive edit, like `C-]'.  It can also get
 out of splitting the frame into multiple windows, as with `C-x 1'.  One
 thing it cannot do, however, is stop a command that is running.  That's
 because it executes as an ordinary command, and Emacs doesn't notice it
 until it is ready for the next command.

Note the last part.  It is this that I think prevents you from defining
another key to do exactly and always what `C-g' does.  I believe that
`C-g' is hardwired in some places.  (Someone will correct me if I am
mistaken.)