Re: YouCompleteMe available as a Server

From: Daniel Colascione
Subject: Re: YouCompleteMe available as a Server
Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2014 01:08:23 -0700

On 08/04/2014 11:27 PM, Tom wrote:
> independent HTTP+JSON server.

It's 2014: of course we're using JSON over HTTP over TCP over IP to get
two programs running on the same machine as the same user to talk to
each other. There's even an HMAC system to avoid the usual attacks. At
the very least, I'd want a non-IP securable transport before using this
thing --- preferably one that doesn't rely on HTTP (which, based on the
source, seems to be used only to discriminate between short text commands).

(Does this program really start 30 threads to handle requests?)

Emacs has existing out-of-tree completion backends that talk to the same
modules ycm uses internally (e.g., clang and jedi), so I'm not sure ycm
is much of a win for us.

Also, the list of supported languages for identifier completion (along
with one regex that tries to match all kinds of comment) appears to be
hardcoded in ycm's C++ codebase; this design choice would make it
difficult to add support for new languages.  (GNU Global has the same
flaw.) Doesn't dabbrev fill the same niche?