Re: if-let and when-let: parallel or sequential

From: Bozhidar Batsov
Subject: Re: if-let and when-let: parallel or sequential
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2014 20:49:29 +0300

On August 11, 2014 at 17:42:20, Stefan Monnier (address@hidden) wrote:
> if-let and when-let don’t make much sense with more than one binding
> form.

Why do you think so? If they only work for a single binding, the
benefit is really minor. It's only when you use several bindings that
the benefit becomes more significant (the alternative being either
a very deeply nested code, or separating the var's declarations from
their initialization).

Stefan

Practically speaking, the most common case people run into is checking whether a single object is nil

and binding it to some local if it’s not. Binding multiple locals in such a form reduces the clarity of the code because the

semantics are not that clear anymore - should all the forms produce non-nil or should only the first form produce non-nil? Obviously

people can (and should) read the documentation, but I’m a huge believer in intuitive APIs. That said, I’m fine with whatever

behavior you decide upon, as I believe those functions are valuable additions regardless.