Re: Org merging [was Re: next pretest]

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Org merging [was Re: next pretest]
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2014 15:46:45 -0400

While talking about Org: I think the current way we have Org in GNU ELPA
is problematic and incompatible with the way GNU ELPA is working
nowadays.  It'd be better to have in GNU ELPA the *released* versions of
Org rather than the bleeding edge (which can be obtained from Org's own
ELPA repository).

So I suggest:
- we remove the hack that adds bleeding-edge versions of Org to GNU ELPA.
- we move the Org code from the Emacs's bzr repository to
  an `externals/org-mode' Git branch in the `elpa' repository.  At the same
  time, this will cause GNU ELPA to provide packages for Org releases
  with Org's version numbers.
- we work on the long-standing need to include GNU ELPA packages in
  the tarball.

Moving the code to the `elpa' branch means that there'll still be a need
to synchronize, but the "orgmode.org => elpa" direction can be done with
a simple "git pull", and the other direction is not supposed to have
very many changes to sync, so it should be much easier.

        Stefan