Re: Split off some backends from Company?

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Split off some backends from Company?
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2014 08:23:03 +0400

On 08/14/2014 07:07 AM, Stefan Monnier wrote:
I see what you mean, but why does this need another package?
It seems the code could/should be in yasnippet, controlled by
something like a minor-mode.
It could be in yasnippet, but then it would implicitly depend on Company
anyway.

You mean it can't be a completion-at-point-function?

Not a useful one, no. Like mentioned, company-yasnippet's candidates list not exhaustive (in terms of things, in general, that the user would usually want to see completed), so it's won't be a good completion function by itself.

Further, there is a convention in the third-party developer community of not
doing too much in autoloads ("installing the package shouldn't turn it on",
or something along these lines).

That's true as well.  Of course "turn it on" is not always as clear-cut
as it sounds.  Adding oneself to company-backend might be seen as "turn
it on", but if you consider that it's only actually used if you do
enable company and if you use the appropriate major mode (or compiler
backend, or snippet library, ...), then you may decide that it's not
really "turned on".

Ok, that makes sense. But anyway, the above convention is only a secondary consideration, as far as I'm concerned.

To the extent that ELPA packages are normally installed by the end user
(my install.el package distinguished "system install" from "user
install" but package.el doesn't really provide much support for
system-wide installs, thjo it doesn't actively prevent them), I think
it's not that bad if installing a package also turns it on.

Agreed.