Re: Org merging [was Re: next pretest]

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Org merging [was Re: next pretest]
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2014 08:50:30 -0400

>> - we remove the hack that adds bleeding-edge versions of Org to GNU ELPA.
> Yes -- this can be done anytime.

I think we do want to have Org in GNU ELPA, so I wouldn't do it "any
time" but only after Org is provided some other way in GNU ELPA.

> Okay.  Do you really want to move the bzr history there or just import
> the Org Git stable branch into an externals/org-mode Git branch?

I think the Git history is preferable (not only because it should
involve less work).

> FWIW, my plan for Org-mode development is (1) to let core development
> happen on the GNU ELPA Git branch

I guess it's not as simple as it sounds, but I'm all for it.

> and (2) to have a separate Org ELPA for contributions.

You mean for the org-plus-contrib?  IIUC it can't go into GNU ELPA for
copyright reasons, so indeed you'd still have to host it elsewhere.

        Stefan