Re: Layered display API

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Layered display API
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2014 17:12:35 +0400

On 08/14/2014 06:53 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

Doing the same on GUI frames would hit all the difficulties that we've
been discussing in this thread, due to proportional and variable-size
fonts, and other display features that don't exist on a TTY.

Guess so. We've been living without non-monospaced fonts support for quite a while, though, so that wouldn't be much of a problem, if the menus solved at least some other problems.

Why use the special new property, then? Just put a new overlay over it.
If it also has `display' and higher priority, it would take over.

Because you want to get priority not only over other overlays, but
also over display properties and maybe other things.

Doesn't any overlay's `display' get priority over text's `display'?

If I want to get priority over "maybe other things", the first problem would how to know the list of all those things, and to retrieve the text that gets displayed in stead of each of those things. Which would be, again, reimplementing the display engine.