Re: Org merging [was Re: next pretest]

From: Achim Gratz
Subject: Re: Org merging [was Re: next pretest]
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2014 21:31:03 +0200

Stefan Monnier writes:
> Not sure it would help.  E.g. I think that allowing "-" in version names
> could be problematic for package.el (tho I have removed many such
> assumptions in the 24.4 version, I'd be surprised if there aren't still
> some lurking).

I'd call that a bug then…

> But it should be pretty easy to pass git-describe's output through sed
> to throw away the "-gXXXX" and to turn the "-" into a ".".

Yes you can do that, although I'd use the GNU make builtins rather than
requiring sed.  But the question was to support it as-is since this gets
ubiquitous by now and inventing yet another format for the same thing
surely creates more confusion than less.

Regards,
Achim.

Samples for the Waldorf Blofeld: