Re: Layered display API

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Layered display API
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2014 05:20:12 +0400

On 08/14/2014 07:20 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

Doesn't any overlay's `display' get priority over text's `display'?

I don't remember, but if it does, it's an implementation detail
subject to change without notice.

This property we are discussing (that doesn't yet exist) will be acted
upon by the display engine.  The display engine always knows what
"things" are there at point, and the supporting logic for this
property will cause the display engine to ignore all the other
"things" and display only the overlay that has this property.  At
least that's the theory.

Well, since we don't only need to replace the displayed characters, but also modify them, this doesn't do a lot of work for us.

From what I understand, you're suggesting a property that would act like a combination of overlay + display does currently. Why not just document that current behavior and then stick to it, rather than introduce the new property?