Re: Emacs as WM

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Emacs as WM
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2014 22:59:51 -0400

>     I could potentially help out; but is there really any work to be
>     done on Rudel?  Seems stable enough.
> Stefan, what's the work you think is needed on Rudel
> to include it standardly in Emacs?

It should use open-network-stream's TLS support, for one.
I found the handling of encryption rather annoying (from the user's view
point), so improvements in this area are important.
It needs some further documentation.
It needs an active maintainer.
IIUC the protocols it support might need to be revisited, since Gobby is
rather dated and Rudel doesn't support more recent protocols.

But FWIW I don't see the benefit of having it included in Emacs:
So far its use has been rather marginal, so while I think it's a neat
package (which is why I went to the trouble of including it in GNU ELPA),
I'm not convinced it deserves to be bundled with Emacs.
It's easy enough to install it via GNU ELPA.

        Stefan