Re: Emacs as WM

From: Ashton Kemerling
Subject: Re: Emacs as WM
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2014 08:47:38 -0600

>     I completely fail to see how Rudel can be a substitute for Google Drive.
>     But then I don't know much about Google Drive.
>
> It is a server that lets various people edit the same document together.
> Previously called Google Docs.
>
>       Yet any solution based
>     on Emacs sounds like a non-starter, since most GNu/Linux users are not
>     Emacs users.
>
> Most users want WYSIWYG word processing, and that's why I want
> Emacs to provide a way to do that.

I really don't see that ever happening. Google drive is used heavily in
mixed editor environments, by people not familiar with more traditional
editors, and in areas where editing or viewing on a computer other than
your own (e.g. conference room machine or phone).

In many ways, Google Drive is a more flexible replacement for MS Office,
which in itself was used in a very different way from Emacs for 90%+ of
the userbase. I'm sure that many of us in this group are a bit over the
top using Emacs for everything, I for one read and write to this group
with gnus, I think there is a danger in assuming that this is the
standard use case. If Rudel is seeing marginal usage, then the only
question is whether that is because Rudel simply is insufficient, or if
it fundamentally isn't what the user base needs.

--
Ashton Kemerling