Re: OT: Quick Lego Survey

From: John Yates
Subject: Re: OT: Quick Lego Survey
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2014 13:53:56 -0400

On Sun, Aug 17, 2014 at 12:49 PM, Lennart Borgman <address@hidden> wrote:
... even if your mum and dad dit not have money to buy much Lego.

I mentioned earlier that my childhood predated Lego and that instead I played with AC Gilbert Erector Set.   Like Lego, Erector Set came in kits of various sizes with all the part to build a project pictured on the box.  And like Lego the price was an obstacle to acquiring a sufficient supply to undertake truly large projects.  Mine was a family that definitely could not afford Erector Set.  I do not recall ever receiving even the smallest amount of Erector Set in its original AC Gilbert packaging.  I do remember being taken by my grandmother sometime in the late 1950's into New York City and visiting the legendary FAO Schwartz toy store. That was probably the one time I saw Erector Set in its glossy packaging.  Still my wonderful mother (due to turn 90 shortly) understood fully the virtue of Erector Set abundance.  She scoured yards sales on a regular basis until she had supplied me with a large steamer trunk full.

Thanks Mum and Happy Birthday.

/john