Re: OT: Quick Lego Survey

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: OT: Quick Lego Survey
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2014 11:12:44 +0200

"Eric S. Raymond" <address@hidden> writes:

> Tassilo Horn <address@hidden>:
>> Back to the original question: yes, I've played with LEGO (and LEGO
>> Technic later).  But at least here in Germany that's probably the most
>> common toy after teddy bears, so I wouldn't look for some correlation
>> between playing LEGO and becoming a hacker or engineer.
>
> Interesting.  Legos aren't quite that common in th the U.S., and
> *are* commonly thought to be something you give your kid if you want
> to encourage engineering tendencies.

<URL:http://www.amazon.com/LEGO-Bricks-First-Princess-10656/dp/B00A88EPQE/>

LEGO Bricks & More My First Princess 10656
by LEGO

    Includes a princess minifigure.
    Features castle, horse, carriage, grooming station, carrot and pieces in
hard-to-find light pink and blue colors.
    Castle section measures over 3" (10cm) high, 2" (6cm) wide and 1" (3cm)
deep.
    Includes easy-to-follow building instructions with inspirational ideas.
    Makes a great gift!

You think the princess is bait-and-switch for the building blocks?
I have to admit that chin, stature and facial expression of the
"princess" very much suggest "drag queen" but I'm not sure how to get to
engineering from there.

--
David Kastrup