Re: Emacs as WM

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Emacs as WM
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2014 17:48:47 +0200

Tom <address@hidden> writes:

> Eli Zaretskii <eliz <at> gnu.org> writes:
>

>> So I think users prefer Office because it has capabilities that Emacs
>> doesn't, and not because its "point and click" interface is easier
>> than that of Emacs.
>>

> On Windows people prefer office also because it looks and behaves as
> any other application. So they prefer familiarity too and being
> familiar is also a big part of simplicity and ease of use.
>
> Emacs looks completely alien on Windows and its behavior is also
> alien.
>
> The most obvious example is copy/paste which is Ctrl-C/V on windows
> while emacs uses something else.
>
> There was a discussion about making Ctrl-C/V the default a while
> ago, but it was rejected because it goes against emacs standards.
> It does, but most users won't relearn basic keys just to use emacs
> which has no obvious advantages for them which would be worth it.
>
> WYSIWYG alone won't gain many new users while emacs stays so
> different in other UI points.

Emacs will always remain a worse NotePad than NotePad.  Most users won't
use Emacs even when it tries masking itself as NotePad.

Convincingly reinventing Emacs and its keybindings into a world of
NotePads is nothing you can solve with enough handwaving.

It's sort of like "can't we genetically engineer a womb into horseshoe
crabs in order to have them more competitive with mammals?".

--
David Kastrup