Re: over-engineered (and under-standardized) inferior interfaces

From: Sam Steingold
Subject: Re: over-engineered (and under-standardized) inferior interfaces
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2014 12:02:07 -0400

On Thu, Aug 28, 2014 at 4:48 AM, Michael Albinus <address@hidden> wrote:

> But Tramp isn't activated with that path. See:
>
>>   tramp-file-name-handler(expand-file-name "/ssh:vertica|sudo:dbadmin/" nil)
>
> So you must debug, where the trailing "@vertica:" is replaced by "/".

it turned out that the *SQL* buffer held and reused the old default-directory.

Sorry.

Now I am getting

Tramp: Opening connection for address@hidden using sudo...
Tramp: Sending command `exec ssh   -o
ControlPath=/var/folders/5k/3w_vc1qs6pv4k3wvnrwr_5100000gn/T/address@hidden:%p
-o ControlMaster=auto -o ControlPersist=no -e none vertica'
Tramp: Waiting for prompts from remote shell...done
Tramp: Found remote shell prompt on `vertica'
Tramp: Sending command `exec env SHELL=/bin/sh sudo -u dbadmin -s -H
-p Password:'
Tramp: Waiting for prompts from remote shell...done
Tramp: Found remote shell prompt on `vertica'
Tramp: Opening connection for address@hidden using sudo...done
File error: "Searching for program", "no such file or directory", "vsql"

despite

vertica$ type vsql
vsql is /usr/bin/vsql

do you need the "debug" tramp buffer?

also, when I use shell, "sudo -u dbadmin" asks me for a password.
tramp does not.
I wonder why.

--
Sam Steingold <http://sds.podval.org> <http://www.childpsy.net/>