Re: over-engineered (and under-standardized) inferior interfaces

From: Sam Steingold
Subject: Re: over-engineered (and under-standardized) inferior interfaces
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2014 11:00:17 -0400

On Thu, Aug 28, 2014 at 4:04 PM, Michael Albinus <address@hidden> wrote:
> Sam Steingold <address@hidden> writes:
>
>>> This is due to the command
>>>
>>> # cd '' && exec  env PS1=/sudo\:address@hidden:\ \#\$\  vsql
>>>
>>> Well, the '' looks very strange. Tramp ought do use here the local part
>>> of default-directory. Has this buffer-local variable been changed
>>> somehow, before vsql has been called?
>>
>> no, default-directory in *SQL* is still
>> "/ssh:vertica|sudo:address@hidden:"
>
> So run it with tramp-verbose 10. This gives us a backtrace in case of
> errors; maybe we see more.

attached.

*SQL* was empty except for

-----------------------------------
sh: cd: : Permission denied
-----------------------------------

I typed this:
-----------------------------------
ls
///1ebffaf5241a44a316171191a4767e18#$ls: cannot open directory .:
Permission denied
vsql --username dbadmin --password xxxxxx
///1ebffaf5241a44a316171191a4767e18#$Welcome to vsql, the Vertica
Analytic Database interactive terminal.

Type:  \h or \? for help with vsql commands
       \q to quit

dbadmin=>

and I am in business!

> PS: If possible, I would like to debug it locally. Is there a recipe I could
> use?

I am not sure what you mean, but I cannot give you access to the the
box in question (if that is what you mean).
Sorry.

thanks for your help!

--
Sam Steingold <http://sds.podval.org> <http://www.childpsy.net/>