Re: feature request: text property to prevent font-locking

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: feature request: text property to prevent font-locking
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2014 15:57:14 -0400

>> By, the way, these kinds of problems are the reason why I suggested
>> adding "planes" to text-properties.
>> It should be relatively easy to implement.
> Sorry, that's too vague for me.  But I guess it further confirms that
> I am not missing something simple.

I suggested that there be several planes of properties, so font-lock
would place its properties in the plane `font-lock' while other packages
can use their own plane.  Then you'd separately specify rules for how to
merge the various planes (with rules that can be distinct for each kind
of property).
The merge of properties would not take place during redisplay but
instead would take place when the properties are added/removed.

        Stefan