Re: Make check in trunk

From: Andy Moreton
Subject: Re: Make check in trunk
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2014 18:52:30 +0100

On Tue 02 Sep 2014, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> From: Óscar Fuentes <address@hidden>
>> Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2014 17:59:53 +0200
>>
>> Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>> > What would be the reasons for anyone to switch from MSYS to MSYS2?
>>
>> MSYS2 has lots of up-to-date packages which are straightforward to
>> install. Starting from zero, you can setup the complete requirements for
>> building Emacs as fast as your Internet connection allows.
>
> OK, but I asked about switching from MSYS, which presumes that such an
> environment based on MSYS is already set up.  Why would one want to
> switch?

I switched over last week, in order to start using the Mingw64 compiler
in a painless way. The MSYS2 environment can be setup in very little
time, and a GUI installer is available to get started.

The package manager (pacman, ported from Arch Linux) handles installing
the toolchains and their dependencies. The package archives include all
of the optional dependencies for emacs on Windows (image libaries, XML,
GnuTLS etc).

HTH,

    AndyM