Re: Benchmarking temporary Lisp objects [Was: Re: [RFC] temporary Lisp_S

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Benchmarking temporary Lisp objects [Was: Re: [RFC] temporary Lisp_Strings]
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2014 00:24:28 -0400

> alloca/fallback to regular GC for vectors and strings.  Stefan?

I'm definitely in favor of a simple solution.  So far I haven't seen
compelling evidence that such alloca tricks are even worthwhile at all.

Your benchmark for `cons' showed that there's some potential benefit,
but then we have to figure out which Fcons calls can be replaced by
alloca ones, and then assess whether the result is worth the effort
(and the risk, since such alloca-allocated thingies need to be handled
with care, making sure they can't escape to Elisp, and also using the
stack more intensively increases the risk of crashing into the
stack depth limit).

        Stefan