Re: Why was `transient-mark-mode' turned off for `delete-selection-mode'

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Why was `transient-mark-mode' turned off for `delete-selection-mode'?
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2014 19:22:51 +0200

Drew Adams <address@hidden> writes:

>> Try marking a region in emacs -Q with _any_ of the mouse, or with
>> shift-cursor, or with C-SPC and some movement.  Then type DEL.
>> You'll see that _any_ way of marking a highlighted region will
>> cause DEL to delete that region.
>
> Yes, you are right...since Emacs 24.  The mouse is no longer
> exceptional in this respect.  I was wrong about that.
>
> Are you glad that deletion-key-deletes-highlighted-selection
> behavior was extended beyond the mouse in this way?  Are you
> now OK with this behavior in Emacs, in spite of swearing
> about it when you encounter it outside Emacs?  Yes?  Good.

Can you please stop making up fantasies about me?  First, this behavior
is _only_ happening for typing DEL, _not_ for typing an arbitrary
character, so you are again manipulatively changing the topic.  Second,
even then it gets in the way but since it is for a _single_ key only
(rather than for _any_ key), it occurs rarely enough that I have not
bothered to actively override it yet.  I probably should since I use
double right click for deleting with a mouse and C-w for deleting with
the keyboard anyway.

> So I guess it is just the type-to-replace part of d-s mode
> that you still don't like.
>
> Funny how "one can get used to getting annoyed"... and even
> come to appreciate or prefer (?!) formerly annoying behavior...

I don't think I will bother replying to you any more.  Your way of
twisting words and topics and doling out insinuations is disgusting.

If you cannot argue for your goals in an upright manner respecting the
integrity and opinion of others, you are not going to convince anybody.
You may hope to annoy them into submission.  I consider that despicable.

--
David Kastrup