Re: Trunk emacs infelicity with linum mode

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Trunk emacs infelicity with linum mode
Date: Sun, 07 Sep 2014 22:28:54 +0300

> Date: Sun, 07 Sep 2014 20:03:27 +0200
> From: martin rudalics <address@hidden>
> CC: address@hidden, address@hidden
>
>  > Yes, but how does that help us resolve this problem?  There's nothing
>  > wrong in general with calling face-font, so linum-mode doesn't do
>  > anything blatantly incorrect here.  It's just that this function is
>  > called "too early" in the frame creation process.
>
> At the time `window-configuration-change-hook' is called, the frame is
> considered "official" already.  Do you really want to wait calling it
> until redisplay has passed over the frame at least once?

Redisplay is not the issue here; non-basic faces are.  See below.

>  > How about adding some simple flag that would avoid calling
>  > window-configuration-change-hook when adjust_frame_size is called from
>  > x-create-frame?
>
> There is such a flag: f->official.  It does exactly that for all
> adjust_frame_size calls before the last one that causes trouble.  But if
> we don't run `window-configuration-change-hook' here, we might not run
> it at all when creating a new frame.

f->official only means that the basic faces were realized; all the
other faces are not realized yet.  So if you want that flag to be it,
we will have to make sure all the faces are realized before we set
that flag.  I believe the faces are realized in
face-set-after-frame-default.