Re: over-engineered (and under-standardized) inferior interfaces

From: Sam Steingold
Subject: Re: over-engineered (and under-standardized) inferior interfaces
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2014 09:17:39 -0400

On Fri, Sep 5, 2014 at 10:19 AM, Michael Albinus <address@hidden> wrote:

>>> So run it with tramp-verbose 10. This gives us a backtrace in case of
>>> errors; maybe we see more.
>>
>> attached.
>
> Well, that gave me a clue. In your default directory shown above, there
> is no local path (what is allowed). Tramp tried to cd to that empty
> path, which resulted in "cd ''".

it appears that appending "/" to the directory indeed solves the problem for me.

> I've committed a patch to Emacs' trunk, could you pls check?

*Messages*:
Tramp: Opening connection for address@hidden using sudo...
Tramp: Sending command `exec ssh   -o
ControlPath=/var/folders/5k/3w_vc1qs6pv4k3wvnrwr_5100000gn/T/address@hidden:%p
-o ControlMaster=auto -o ControlPersist=no -e none vertica'
Tramp: Opening connection for address@hidden using sudo...
Tramp: Sending command `exec ssh   -o
ControlPath=/var/folders/5k/3w_vc1qs6pv4k3wvnrwr_5100000gn/T/address@hidden:%p
-o ControlMaster=auto -o ControlPersist=no -e none vertica'
Tramp: Waiting for prompts from remote shell...done
Tramp: Found remote shell prompt on `vertica'
Tramp: Sending command `exec env SHELL=/bin/sh sudo -u dbadmin -s -H
-p Password:'
Tramp: Waiting for prompts from remote shell...done
Tramp: Found remote shell prompt on `vertica'
Tramp: Opening connection for address@hidden using sudo...done
Tramp: Waiting for prompts from remote shell...failed
Tramp: Opening connection for address@hidden using sudo...failed
byte-code: Selecting deleted buffer
Undo!
Mark set

tramp/sudo address@hidden:
command-line: line 0: Bad configuration option: ControlPersist
Connection to analytics001.smq.mgnt.cc closed.
Killed by signal 1.

debug tramp/ssh vertica
;; GNU Emacs: 24.4.50.3 Tramp: 2.2.11-pre -*- mode: outline; -*-
09:15:33.263232 tramp-get-file-property (8) #  gateway nil

--
Sam Steingold <http://sds.podval.org> <http://www.childpsy.net/>