Re: slowness scrolling in *Help* windows

From: Perry E. Metzger
Subject: Re: slowness scrolling in *Help* windows
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2014 21:51:33 -0400

On Mon, 08 Sep 2014 20:05:11 +0200 Andreas Schwab
<address@hidden> wrote:
> "Perry E. Metzger" <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > I've been noticing that sometimes scrolling in *Help* gets very,
> > very slow sometimes. Typical case: C-h s (that is, view the
> > syntax table), and scroll through it, and it can take seconds for
> > the screen to do something after C-v
>
> Emacs needs to look up the fonts for the characters in the buffer.
> That can take some time depending on the number of installed fonts.

I can believe that this is part of the problem, but it seems like it
is anomalously long under the circumstances. It should not take
seconds on a modern processor to perform this action. Perhaps
something rather inefficient is going on, like a bad choice of a
search algorithm?

Perry
--
Perry E. Metzger                address@hidden