Re: Repository conversion

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Repository conversion
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2014 10:14:25 -0700

As I understand it, the only thing blocking the repo conversion is that we wanted to wait until after the next Emacs release. I hope we have a new release sooner rather than later, but I don't think there's a formal schedule for it.

If the next release won't happen for quite a while, I suggest doing the repo conversion now. In the ordinary course of development I am significantly delayed several times a day by bzr. With the Emacs source tree a trivial 'bzr merge' (just two files, about 30 lines changed, no conflicts, both source trees recently visited) takes over 15 seconds on my desktop. The same thing with 'git' would be so fast I wouldn't notice.