Re: tramp:sshx:(screen|tmux)

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: tramp:sshx:(screen|tmux)
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2014 20:06:42 +0200

Sam Steingold <address@hidden> writes:

>> *  <address@hidden> [2014-09-10 16:12:58 +0200]:
>> Michael Albinus <address@hidden> writes:

>>> (*): https://mosh.mit.edu/
>>
>> I have used dtach for this, albeit in a slightly different context.
>> Maybe dtach can be of use for tramp?
>>
>> http://dtach.sourceforge.net/
>
> dtach looks like abandonware - no releases in 6 years.
> However, if it is small and simple enough, the emacs community might
> strip it down and take over it and ship it with emacs.

Well, looking at screen, tmux and dtach, the latter one looks like the
most promising one. The man page claims "it works best with full-screen
applications such as emacs" :-)

All of them need some book-keeping of available sessions. This is a task
which shall be done in general for Emacs (if we decide to use them). I
have no idea, whether there is already a common Emacs package dedicated
to this.

OTOH, I believe that mosh would be better suited, because it does not
need to know about pending sessions. A simple (re-)connect to the server
in question would do the job.

Best regards, Michael.