Re: Trunk emacs infelicity with linum mode

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Trunk emacs infelicity with linum mode
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2014 18:14:25 +0300

> Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2014 11:26:00 +0200
> From: martin rudalics <address@hidden>
> CC: address@hidden, address@hidden
>
>  > Inside the first call to adjust_frame_size, the one from line 4609, we
>  > do call run_window_configuration_change_hook.  But it doesn't abort
>  > here.
>
> Because the frame is not official yet so
>
>    if (NILP (Vrun_hooks) || !(f->official))
>      return;
>
> will return immediately.

Right.  Which in retrospect is the _real_ answer to your 'Why "until
4678"?' question: I was trying to reproduce what happened on Manoj's
machine, guided by the backtrace he posted.

>  > If I set a breakpoint in Fface_font, which is what barfed in the OP's
>  > case, the breakpoint doesn't break inside the call to
>  > adjust_frame_size or Fx_create_frame, it breaks after Fx_create_frame
>  > already returned.  I don't know why the difference.
>
> I suppose the OP confused two calls of adjust_frame_size - the one at
> line 4609 and the one at line 4678.

Or maybe we confused that.

> The latter indeed does run the functions on
> `window-configuration-change-hook' and breaks in Fface_font.  It
> doesn't break on Windows or Gtk because there apparently the sizes
> do not change any more.  I still don't know why the sizes change on
> Motif/Lucid.

Probably because of the tool bar or the scroll bars -- these are the
only differences between the builds, AFAIR.

What will break if we set f->official true only _after_ the second
adjust_frame_size returns?