Re: Everyone, please stop making my life more difficult

From: Harald Hanche-Olsen
Subject: Re: Everyone, please stop making my life more difficult
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2014 17:34:01 +0200 (CEST)

[Sam Steingold <address@hidden> (2014-09-12 15:21:21 UTC)]

> I thought that rebase _moves_ commits, not _creates_ them anew.
> Just like "mv" does not change ctime of a file,
> rebase must not change the commit time.

Rebase needs to create new commits for two reasons:

1. Each commit contains a reference to its parent(s), and hence
   indirectly to its entire prehistory, and
2. When you rebase, you are essentially applying diffs corresponding
   to the commits you are “moving” to other commits, so the rebased
   commit will refer to files that are different from the ones before
   the rebase.

– Harald