Re: Everyone, please stop making my life more difficult

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: Re: Everyone, please stop making my life more difficult
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2014 12:27:03 -0400

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>:
> > I requested portable revision stamps for good reasons.
>
> I don't think you can expect that, until we have VC commands to
> produce them and look up commits using them.

Which is why that's on my to-do list.  A good alternative is to
refer to a commit by a quote from its summary line; in fact this
is usually best for a human reader.

> I'm pretty sure that once we switch to Git, everybody will use Git sha
> values instead of bzr revnos.

A request for better behavior is already in the developer guidelines.
You could be helpful by setting a positive precedent.

> > and (b) I'm still trying to make conversions available on gitorious
> > so people can inspect them, get used to what the full conversion
> > looks like, and critique it.
>
> Did you get any critique lately?

No.  But whether I do or not, I feel a responsibility to the developer
community to make that possible.  The right thing must be done and
seen to be done.