Re: resolving ambiguity in action stamps (was: Everyone, please stop mak

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: resolving ambiguity in action stamps (was: Everyone, please stop making my life more difficult)
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2014 12:45:38 +0900

Eric S. Raymond writes:

 > I couldn't invent one.  I believe this is mathematically equivalent
 > to total-ordering the DAG. Which you can't do.

You must have other conditions in mind for your allowable total
orders, since any finite partial order can be extended to a total
order (topological sort), usually in several ways.  Not even the Emacs
repo has an uncountable number of revisions (although working with bzr
sometimes makes me feel like it does).