Re: Regexps and strings once again

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Regexps and strings once again
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2014 22:14:31 -0400

> On 09/14/2014 04:27 PM, Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen wrote:
>> (dom-by-id dom (regexp "I \\(couldn't\\)?haz new syntax"))

`regexp' could just as well take a new syntax.  And it doesn't have to
return a string with a funny text-property but can really return a new
kind of object.

I think it could be fairly elegant.

> I've been working on an NFA combinator facility lately.  The basic idea
> is that you don't work in terms of regular expressions per se, but in
> terms of state-matching machines (like the ones Ragel has) that you can
> combine using the standard union, repeat, negative, and intersection
> operators.

Do you really mean NFA or are you actually manipulating DFAs?
If NFAs, how do you implement intersection?

> Stefan has something similar in ELPA --- lex.el --- except his code
> seems to do the conversion in one shot instead of supporting the
> incremental building of matching machines.

Indeed.

        Stefan