Re: MS-Windows tester wanted for trunk

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: MS-Windows tester wanted for trunk
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2014 18:58:50 +0300

> Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2014 19:24:28 +0400
> From: Dmitry Antipov <address@hidden>
> CC: address@hidden
>
> On 09/16/2014 06:31 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>
> > So the conclusion is that, at least for 32-bit Windows builds, the
> > alignment of union Aligned_Cons is not enough to produce the effect
> > you want, and additional measures are necessary.
> >
> > I don't expect this to be a problem in 64-bit Windows builds, because
> > there Windows does enforce 16-byte alignment of the stack.  But, as I
> > already said, I didn't test that.
>
> Do we have the same issue with alloca?

No, not as long as our functions are called only by our functions, not
as callbacks from Windows DLLs.

> If not, whether it will be simpler to define scoped_cons to
> local_cons for 32-bit Windows builds?

You'll have to educate me about the difference, sorry.  I can try
whatever you want.

> > This could be an issue in other x86 32-bit builds (probably not on
> > GNU/Linux, though, and not if GCC is the compiler), because AFAIK the
> > x86 ABI specifies a 4-byte stack alignment.
>
> Hm...I'll try 32-bit builds with clang and icc.  BTW, both of them mimics
> GCC quite well, so I will be very surprised with an issues here.

I think the 32-bit Cygwin-w32 build might also be affected, as it uses
the same w32font.c code.  Ken, can you try that, please?