Re: Emacs Lisp's future (was: Guile emacs thread (again))

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Emacs Lisp's future (was: Guile emacs thread (again))
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2014 19:09:50 +0300

> From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
> Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2014 11:50:54 -0400
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> One such option is Guile-Emacs.  This presumably would give us a faster
> implementation (at least in theory, their bytecode is significantly
> more efficient)

If by "bytecode" you mean the *.go files, then we should also keep in
mind that these are not architecture-independent as *.elc files are.
Not a catastrophe, of course, but something to remember.

> And of course, if Guile's own manpower dries up, Emacs would be forced
> to keep supporting Guile, which is more work than supporting just Elisp.

A data point: judging by "git log", Guile is currently developed and
maintained by about 3 active developers.