Re: Emacs Lisp's future

From: Taylan Ulrich Bayirli/Kammer
Subject: Re: Emacs Lisp's future
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2014 17:11:57 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> From: Taylan Ulrich Bayirli/Kammer <address@hidden>
>> Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2014 15:33:04 +0200
>> Cc: Christopher Allan Webber <address@hidden>,
>>      Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>, address@hidden
>>
>> Note that Guile-Emacs runs existing Elisp as-is and is basically a
>> drop-in replacement.
>
> But that's not really true, is it?  Just look at the changes made in
> the Guile-Emacs repo to core Lisp files, and you will see what I mean.

It's not a 100% drop-in replacement, that's true.  I'll take a peek what
changes in Elisp files it did; the only one I remember at the moment is
Gnus directly writing out Elisp bytecode somewhere.

> Btw, I admit I don't completely understand what the wiki says about
> the problems with t and nil, but if that means you cannot say in
> Guile-Emacs something like
>
>    (if (eq foo t) ...
>
> then there are more than 700 places in Emacs that will stop working.

(eq foo t) should always work.  (eq foo nil) will only work if that
`nil' came from Elisp code; if it's a Scheme #f or '() in disguise, then
you need to make that (not foo) or (null foo) (both works in both
cases); anything but (eq foo nil).

Taylan