Re: Emacs Lisp's future

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Emacs Lisp's future
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2014 13:53:45 -0400

> It is the lisp which sage supports (they have a funding grant which
> requires that sage be installable from source on just about anything
> which has an existing C compiler) and the maxima tests consistantly
> show it as second only to compiled-to-machine-code lisps like sbcl.
> As such, it looks like it will continue to have excellent development
> and support for the foreseeable future.

Sounds good.  If someone wants to look deeper into what it would take to
use ECL in Emacs, that would be very welcome.

There are lots of potential issues in such a project.
A start would be to check:
- does it use its own event loop?
- can it handle conservative stack scanning?
- what other conventions are needed for C code to cooperate with the GC?
- could we do something akin to our "dump"?

Of course, another issue with Common-Lisp integration is that we'd want
to figure out how to integrate the two languages.  So, we'd need to
investigate what are the current incompatibilities.

        Stefan