Re: Further CC-mode changes

From: Glenn Morris
Subject: Re: Further CC-mode changes
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2014 14:31:34 -0400

>> Two separate surveys of large (>100) corporate Emacsen populations
>> taken in 2003 and 2007 showed that around 10% of users were using
>> 10-year-old or older Emacsen.

I knew this by now very tired old statement would get trotted out. :)

Obviously it doesn't matter what I think, and I don't expect it to
change anyone's opinion, but based on Stephen's response I'll stop
beating around the bush.

The point was made 6 years ago, and things certainly have not improved
since then:

http://steve-yegge.blogspot.com/2008/04/xemacs-is-dead-long-live-xemacs.html

   But at this point, if you're using XEmacs you're actively damaging
   not only your long-term productivity, but mine as well.

Maintaining compat code for ancient Emacs versions is a waste of
effort, and in fact makes things worse for people using modern Emacs.

https://www.openhub.net/p/emacs  4500 commits in the last year
https://www.openhub.net/p/xemacs   48 commits in the last year

Extend the sample to 5 years if you like, same result.

Throw in SXEmacs too if you like, that had 35 commits last year.

Yes, counting commits is a silly metric, but the result is the same by
any metric. Bug reports closed in the last year? ~ 0 (?) versus 1000s.
New features have been added in the last year (5 years)?
I-don't-know versus see the 4000-line NEWS file.