Re: Emacs Lisp's future

From: Thorsten Jolitz
Subject: Re: Emacs Lisp's future
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2014 09:54:03 +0200

address@hidden (Phillip Lord) writes:

> The manual talks about the performance danger of overlay, but I've just
> put an overlay an every word in a 300 line buffer, and I can't notice
> that either.

I had a different experience when I tried to implement org-hlc.el (Org
Hidden Line Cookies [fn:1]) with overlays and buffer change hooks. I always
test with a 7000+ lines elisp file, and user experience was pretty close
to 'unusable' in a file of that size, so I came to the conclusion that
Emacs perfomance is actually quite limited in that area.

* Footnotes

[fn:1] org-hlc shows the number of hidden lines in a folded subtree in
little cookie that looks like this [#20] in the folded headline.

--
cheers,
Thorsten