Re: Emacs Lisp's future

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: Emacs Lisp's future
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2014 13:48:00 +0100

>     Thinking of Emacs as an entire ecosystem, most of Emacs is already
>     maintained independently from either Emacs core or GNU ELPA.
>
> That is a shocking statement -- is it really true?

Well, I thought to check, since I wasn't sure and the answer is actually
no, it's about 50% in terms of file size. This is comparing *.el sizes.

My actual figures are emacs (52M, 1411 lisp files), elpa (16M and 231)
and MELPA (36M, 9530). I would guess that MELPA has most of the external
packages; but I could be wrong. The low number of pacages in elpa
compared to MELPA is probably a good thing, since there are a lot of
very small ones in MELPA.

Still, there is a lot of the emacs ecosystem outside of Emacs core or
ELPA, even if it's not more.

The methodology is below!

Phil

cd emacs-core (i.e. all the emacs lisp in /usr/share/emacs/24.3)
find . -name "*elc" -exec rm {} \;
find . -name "*gz" -exec gzip -d {} \;
find . -name "*el" | wc
   1411    1411   35522