Re: Emacs Lisp's future

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: Emacs Lisp's future
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2014 15:34:23 +0100

Rasmus <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi,

>>     Thinking of Emacs as an entire ecosystem, most of Emacs is already
>>     maintained independently from either Emacs core or GNU ELPA.
>>
>> That is a shocking statement -- is it really true?
>
> Using the download statistics from MELPA (attached) there's some
> packages with more than 20000 downloads.  Now I'm not clear how this
> metrics come about, e.g. are upgrades counted as download and what it
> the time window etc.?

Yep, upgrades will be downloads. A number of packages on there are used
for integration testing. So, I pull down dash on every checking for
several of my projects. In time, I am sure dash will become the most
downloaded package because of this.

Once Emacs switches to git, I would guess the percentage of people on
this list who do not install magit will shrink to a tiny number. My
guesses are often wrong though!

Phil