Re: Tokenizing

From: Vladimir Kazanov
Subject: Re: Tokenizing
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2014 13:21:47 +0300

On Mon, Sep 22, 2014 at 1:01 AM, Daniel Colascione <address@hidden> wrote:

> I've been working (very, very, very slowly) on similar functionality.
> The basic idea is based on the incremental lexing algorithm that Tim A.
> Wagner sets out in chapter 5 of his thesis [1].  The key is dynamically
> tracking lookahead used while we generate each token.  Wagner's
> algorithm allows us to incorporate arbitrary lookahead into the
> invalidation state, so supporting something like flex's unlimited
> trailing context is no problem.
>
> The nice thing about this algorithm is that like the parser, it's an
> online algorithm and arbitrarily restartable.

I have already mentioned Wagner's paper in the previous letters.
Actually, it is the main source of inspiration :-) But I think it is a
bit over-complicated, and the only implementation I saw (Netbean's
Lexer API) does not even try to implement it completely. Which is
okay, academic papers tend to idealize things.

> We can't use the built-in Emacs regular expression engine for this
> facility because there's no way to tell regex.c to record how much
> lookahead it used, and even if there were, I'd rather not rely on its
> backtracking matcher. I've written a DFA-based regex matcher that should
> help in implementing this algorithm; of course, a DFA matcher has a
> lookahead of zero.
>
> Mine supports zero-width predicates though, so we can actually use
> achieve nonzero lookahead (and lookbehind!) if needed.

You do realize that this is a client's code problem? We can only
recommend to use this or that regex engine, or even set the lookahead
value for various token types by hand; and the latter case would
probably work for most real-life cases.

I am not even sure that it is possible to do it the Wagner's way (have
a real next_char() function) in Emacs. I would check Lexer API
solution as a starting point.

> Where my thing departs from flex is that I want to use a regular
> expression (in the rx sense) to describe the higher-level parsing
> automaton instead of making mode authors fiddle with start states.  This
> way, it's easy to incorporate support for things like JavaScript's
> regular expression syntax, in which "/" can mean one of two tokens
> depending on the previous token.
>
> (Another way of dealing with lexical ambiguity is to let the lexer
> return an arbitrary number of tokens for a given position and let the
> GLR parser sort it out, but I'm not as happy with that solution.)

I do not want to solve any concrete lexing problems. The whole point
is about supplying a way to do it incrementally. I do not want to know
anything about the code above or below , be it GLR/LR/flex/etc.

> There are two stages here: you want in *some* cases for fontification to
> use the results of tokenization directly; in other cases, you want to
> apply fontification rules to the result of parsing that token stream.
> Splitting the fontification rules between terminals and non-terminals
> this way helps us maintain rudimentary fontification even for invalid
> buffer contents --- that is, if the user types gibberish in a C-mode
> buffer, we want constructs that look like keywords and strings in that
> gibberish stream to be highlighted.

Yes, and this is a client's code that has to decide those things, be
it using only the token list to do fontification or let a higher-level
a parser do it.

>> I will definitely check it out, especially because it uses GLR(it
>> really does?!), which can non-trivial to implement.
>
> Wagner's thesis contains a description of a few alternative incremental
> GLR algorithms that look very promising.

Yes, and a lot more :-) I want to concentrate on a smaller problem -
don't feel like implementing the whole thesis right now.

> I have a few extensions in mind too.  It's important to be able to
> quickly fontify a particular region of the buffer --- e.g., while scrolling.
>
> If we've already built a parse tree and damage part of the buffer, we
> can repair the tree and re-fontify fairly quickly. But what if we
> haven't parsed the whole buffer yet?

Nice. And I will definitely need to discuss all the optimization
possibilities later. First, the core logic has to be implemented.

Bottom line: I want to take this particular narrow problem, a few user
code examples (for me it is a port of CPython's LL(1) parser) and see
if I can solve in an optimal way. A working prototype will take some
time, a month or more - I am not in a hurry.

As much as I understand, you want to cooperate on it, right..?

--
Yours sincerely,

Vladimir Kazanov

--