[Emacs-diffs] trunk r117941: Default to stack objects on non-GNU/Linux,

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: [Emacs-diffs] trunk r117941: Default to stack objects on non-GNU/Linux, non-DOS_NT platforms.
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2014 11:15:02 +0300

I don't understand this commit.

  . It was done in complete silence, without prior discussions wrt
    whether to make this the default.  (Yes, I suggested that, but no
    one replied, and we never discussed it.)

  . It arbitrarily excludes the native MS-Windows builds from this
    feature, for no good reasons: the 64-bit Windows build has no
    problems with it, and the problem discovered in the 32-bit build
    has a simple solution.  If you (Paul) didn't want to implement
    that solution yourself, you could have asked _before_ turning
    this on.

    In general, every feature that exists only on some platforms is a
    Bad Thing, as it introduces maintenance problems and in particular
    makes people who work on different platforms unable to usefully
    compare what they see and solve problems reported by others.

  . It does include the 32-bit Cygwin-w32 build which could
    potentially be affected by the same problem as the native Windows
    32-bit builds.

In sum, I don't understand these sneaky practices, and I wish they'd
stopped.  How many times do you have to be told to revert your commits
before you understand that this is not how we do things around here?