Re: Emacs Lisp's future

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: Emacs Lisp's future
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2014 19:37:17 +0900

Eli Zaretskii writes:

 > I take it that you have studied the charsets for which we use
 > codepoints above 0x10FFFF, and concluded that they all fit in the
 > 2*64K+6.4K PUA space provided by Unicode?

No, I've studied the coded character sets that are actually used by
real people in this world, and concluded that for practical purposes,
the Unicode coded character set plus the PUA permits representing all
of them satisfactorily for a TTY, and that the additional burden of
disambiguating them (eg, for font choice in a GUI) should be handled
by markup (eg, the XML lang attribute in text/* representations, and
text properties in Emacs).

 > We have several quite large character sets which need that (grep
 > mule-conf.el for ":unify-map" to see the list, and see
 > etc/charsets/ for the map files).  I'm not sure the PUA space is
 > large enough, but I didn't sum all the numbers.

If :unify-map really means that all of those character sets are mapped
injectively into the Emacs coded character set, OK, it's just Mule
code all over again.  Since CNS alone has about 80,000 characters in
it and that's just for a start, no, there is not enough space in the
Unicode PUA for complete (and mostly redundant) copies of a double
handful of Han character sets.