Re: Emacs Lisp's future

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Emacs Lisp's future
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2014 13:23:10 -0400

> I don't think that having to retain a separate implementation of strings
> in Emacs makes much sense in the course of integrating GUILE and Emacs.

There's integration and integration.
Currently Guile-Emacs is about replacing the GC and byte-code
interpreter of Emacs with Guile's.  Most of the actual primitives used
are Emacs's own, AFAIK (with some exceptions, such as the things that
touch cons cells and numbers, IIUC).

I'm not really interested in spending time improving Guile.  The goal of
Guile-Emacs (from Emacs's point of view) is to use some pre-existing VM
so as to avoid spending time on Emacs's own.
So if we can't make use of Guile's strings because they're not good
enough, then we won't use them.

Of course, maybe we'll have to manipulate Guile's strings in order to
use Guile's FFI or some Scheme library.  If/when that becomes
a performance problem, we'll see what needs to be done about that.
Until then:

   it's not like this is a problem we need to fix now (if ever).

-- Stefan