Re: summer of code results

From: joakim
Subject: Re: summer of code results
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2014 22:26:21 +0200

Glenn Morris <address@hidden> writes:

> Answering my own question (a bit), I see there was (?) an Xwidgets project
> again.
>
> https://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/project/details/google/gsoc2014/nick7s/5724160613416960
>
> I wonder if it is any closer to being merged to trunk.
> I see a single non-merge-from-trunk change in the xwidgets branch this year.

I'm in the process of collating the patches atm.

I'm preparing a Docker image with the xwidget branch build environment
to enable people to try it out more easily.

The docker file and other things were moved to a new repo:

https://github.com/jave/xwidget-aux

I hope to prepare a better report when I verified that the images are
good enough for public consumption.

Menwhile, the Dockerfile looks like this:
-----------
FROM fedora:20

# install things we need to build the emacsxwidget branch
RUN yum -y install git

RUN yum -y groupinstall "Development Tools"
RUN yum -y install gobject-introspection-devel webkitgtk3-devel libjpeg-turbo
libXpm-devel libungif-devel libjpeg-devel libnsurses-devel texinfo
libncurses-devel
RUN yum -y install libtiff-devel
RUN yum -y install ncurses-devel
RUN yum -y install  xorg-x11-apps #this is just for debugging
run yum -y install gdb

RUN git clone  --depth 1 -b xwidget git://git.savannah.gnu.org/emacs.git xwidget

RUN     cd xwidget && git checkout xwidget &&           export CFLAGS=" -g" &&
./autogen.sh &&          ./configure --with-xwidgets --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 &&
 make -j4

And you could try it with this unsecure xforward hack:
xhost +
docker run -it -v /tmp/.X11-unix/X76:/tmp/.X11-unix/X76 --env DISPLAY=:76
d18554142086  /xwidget/src/emacs

of course using your own display numbers and docker image hash.

--
Joakim Verona