Re: ELPAing all the GNU manuals

From: Nic Ferrier
Subject: Re: ELPAing all the GNU manuals
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2014 19:17:40 +0100

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>> All GNU manuals are free. Therefore they can be redistributed.
>> All GNU manuals have texinfo (well, I'm only interested in the ones that
>> do).
>> Texinfo manuals can be turned into packages.
>> Therefore we can put all GNU texinfo manuals into ELPA.
>
> Yes, we can do that.  But just because we can doesn't mean we should.
> So what would be the benefits and the drawbacks?
>
> Clearly, you have some reason to do that.  Could you explain it to us?
>

>         Stefan "Preoccupied with keeping things up-to-date and in-sync"

I didn't mean to suggest it wouldn't be kept in sync. That would kind of
be the point.

The point would be to make them available to Emacs users. I am an Ubuntu
user. I just installed gnupg. No info manual appeared in my Emacs.

What I probably want is some sort of better info manual management. I
probably have the manual on my machine somewhere but it's not
automatically being found by Emacs.

I'll think more.

I shouldn't have bothered emacs-devel with a musing. But I re-assert
that is a problem. If "because we can doesn't mean we should" is a
gateway to ELPA then you've got a problem.

Nic