Re: Version naming

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Version naming
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2014 16:13:40 +0200

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

> OK, here's one of the favorite discussion topics.
>
> So I'll keep it short to get the discussion started:
>
>    The next release from trunk will be called 25.1 rather than 24.5
>
> There, I said it.  For completeness, here's the motivation:
> In retrospect 24.3 should have been named 25.1 and 24.4 should have been
> named 26.1.  The ".N" thingy should really be kept only for bug-fix
> releases and neither of 24.3, 24.4, nor the previously planned 24.5 are
> bug-fix releases.

That's a bit like the naming scheme Emacs had between version 1 and 18,
isn't it?

The numbering doesn't really matter, but I think it was kinda nice when
the major version number was only bumped on really big-ish transitions.
(I.e., mule, utf8, static binding...)

But, of course, the next Emacs release has eww, and that's a major
thing.  >"?