Re: Current trunk aborts with MinGW

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: Current trunk aborts with MinGW
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2014 17:57:30 +0200

>> I have no idea what a mingw toolchain version is.
>
> There are several toolchains:
>
>   a) The Mingw project (www.mingw.org):
>      - 32bit gcc (i686-pc-mingw32)
>
>   b) The Mingw64 project (mingw-w64.sourceforge.net):
>      - 32bit gcc (i686-w64-mingw32)
>      - 64bit gcc (x86_64-w64-mingw32)

Aha ... that thing printed by `emacs-version' or `system-configuration'.
It's "i686-pc-mingw32" here.  Couldn't you try to write a function that
provides more meaningful information here?  I always consider w32 bug
reports inferior to the ones for GNU/Linux which IMHO are not entirely
optimal either.  Basically, it would be fine to have one function that
gets me, in a nicely formatted way,

- the operating system,
- the revision number,
- the build options,
- the build environment,
- the date of the build

that is, most of the things you asked for.

martin