Re: POP3 password in plaintext?

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: POP3 password in plaintext?
Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2014 19:29:59 -0400

On Wed, 01 Oct 2014 16:02:12 +0200 Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <address@hidden>
wrote:

LMI> What I had planned on implementing was a way to make the user manage the
LMI> security more explicitly.  Here are the main options we need:
LMI> It can all be done on the `open-network-stream' level.

We discussed this before in several bug discussions. The GnuTLS errors
(from an invalid certificate, for instance) happen at the C level and
there are problems with trying to be interactive while reading from a
network stream. See http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=11267,
http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=15057,
http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=9017,
http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=16784, and

IIRC, the agreed-upon direction in
http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=16978 was that we said the
certificate UI was going to help the user manage certificate. And the
errors from GnuTLS would point the user to that UI and tell them how to
remedy the problem.  And there would be magic dust and happy unicorns.

Ted